- Year of composition: Year of composition unknown
- Work category: Mixed choir with solo voice(s) and orchestra
- Dedication: The score (written by Wilhelm Stenhammar) has the following dedication:
"To P. U. Stenhammar's widow on 8 February 1900 Wilh. Stenhammar."
- Duration: 60 min
- Detailed duration: The piano vocal score is 79 pages long; the full score is 227. 60 minutes is the estimated length of the work.
3*.2.2.2 / 188.8.131.52 / timp, hp / str
Solo voices: 1 soprano, 1 alto, 1 tenor, 1 baritone, 1 bass
Mixed choir: S.A.T.B. Occasionally the vocal parts are divided.
Examples of printed editions
Musikaliska konstföreningen, Stockholm 1900
Rec och aria "Samuel gjorde såsom Herren hade sagt" printed in Kyrkosångaren 11, Hirsch, Stockholm, no publication year
Basarian "Huru länge vill du sörja" tryckt i Kyrkosångaren 16, Hirsch, Stockholm no publication year
Location for score and part material
Handwritten orchestral and choral material in the Musik- och teaterbiblioteket
- Location autograph: Musik- och teaterbiblioteket
- Possible call no. and autograph comment: At the Musik- och teaterbiblioteket there are sketches of parts of the work that seem to have P. U. Stenhammar's autograph. The orchestral score has Wilhelm Stenhammar's autograph.
Description of work
1. Introduction: Con moto A minor 6/8
2. Choir: Vivace F major 4/4
3. Recit. and Aria: Larghetto D-flat major 3/4
4. Recitative, Trio and Choir: [Recitative:] C major 3/4, [Trio:] Andante A-flat major 3/4, [Choir:] Pocchissimo più F minor 3/4
5. Recitative: Andante without a key signature 4/4
6. Duet: B-flat major 6/8
7. Recitative and choir. [Recitative:] Moderato B-flat major 4/4, [Choir:] Allegretto un poco D major 2/4
8. Aria: Larghetto ma non troppo F major 3/4
9. Choir: Larghetto G major 3/4
10. Recitative: no tempo markings G minor 4/4
11. Quintet: Andante moderato D major 3/4
12. Recitative: Moderato G minor
13: Choir with Soli: Moderato G minor 4/4
14. Recitative: Larghetto E major - D-flat major 3/4
15. Choir: Allegro moderato G major 4/4
16. Recitative: no tempo markings, no key signature 4/4
17. Choir: Con moto, ma non troppo G minor 6/8
18. Recitative: no tempo markings A-flat major 4/4
19. Duet with Choir: Larghetto A-flat major 4/4
The oratorio was left apparently incomplete by the composer. According to information on the library card, the work was orchestrated by Wilhelm Stenhammar, the composer's son.
According to an announcement in Aftonbladet on 20 March 1882 the oratorio was performed in Bethelkapellet in Stockholm on 23 March 1882 with P. A. Ölander's orchestration.