Chat with an archivist on sls.finna.fi
Tel: +358 9 618 777
Customer service, Helsingfors: +358 9 618 77 230
Customer service, Vasa: +358 6 319 56 00
Address: PB 158, 00171 Helsingfors, Finland
SLS is a scholarly society engaged in activities within archives, publishing, research and asset management.
Activities of the SLS include archives, research, publishing and asset management. The SLS archives document culture, language and traditions, including music and dance traditions in the Swedish language in Finland. SLS receives private archives and makes cultural heritage digitally accessible, according to the principle of open access.
The SLS archival collections are located partly in Helsinki and partly in Vaasa and it is generally possible to order and access material in the research rooms in the place where the material is stored. For some of the collections, a request for access may be required. The location of specific material is stated in the catalog description and further information on access can be obtained through the chat function on the search service sls.finna.fi or via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Digital material that is not freely available on sls.finna.fi can be studied on computers in the research rooms both in Helsinki and in Vaasa. Through contact with customer service, you can also receive help with searches in the lists and catalogues that are only available on-site in Helsinki and Vaasa.
sls.finna.fi - SLS's own homepage on the national search portal finna.fi for archives, libraries and museums. Here you will find catalogue information about SLS archival and library collections and a growing amount of digital material that is freely available. Through the page's chat function or by sending an email to email@example.com, you can ask for the collections and archives that are not digitally available in the portal.
Search tips for finding folk music and folk dance:
- "Samlingen för folklig musik- och dansutövning" ["The collection for folk music and dance"] - more than 520 collections and archives that are connected to folk music and dance in different ways. Music material also exists in other collections.
- "folkmusik", "folkdans", "folkvisor", "spelmansmusik", "spelmansrörelsen" ["folk music", "folk dance", "folk songs", "fiddle music", "the 'fiddling movement'"].
- limit the search to the section: Arkiv [Archive] to exclude published works in the library's collections.
- restrict the search by checking the box, "Tillgängligt på nätet" ["Available online"], to restrict the search to published digital material that is freely available.
folkdiktning.sls.fi/#/music - in the digital version of the collection Finland's Swedish folk poetry, one can find the music volumes Äldre dansmelodier, Yngre dansmelodier, and Bröllopsmusiken, that have their own section where you can read, download and listen to the melodies and read more about the tradition, the fiddlers and handwritten notation and texts.
- Instrumental Folk Music
- Vocal Folk Music
- Folk Dance
- Nordic Countries (other than Sweden)
Types of Archival Material
- Audio Recordings
- Moving Image Recordings
- Printed Sheet Music
- Printed Texts