Och/Å inte vill jag sörja
Folk song from Dalecarlia
Rudén no. 142
- Year of composition: Dated Tibble 10 November 1939
- Work category: Male choir a cappella
- Text author: Folk song from Dalecarlia
- Arrangement/revision: Arranged for baritone solo and male choir by Hugo Alfvén in 1939
- Duration: 1 min
Baritone solo, T.T.B.B.
Examples of printed editions
Stockholm 1940. Sällskapet för svenska kvartettsångens befrämjande. Sånger för mansröster, book 53, no. 7
- Location autograph: Uppsala Universitetsbibliotek
- Possible call no. and autograph comment: UUB VMhs 185;29b, exemplar 2 with Bertel Linder, Stockholm
Ternhag, Gunnar: Folkvisearrangemangen, in Hugo Alfvén − en vägvisare. Hedemora (2003) pp. 156−166.
Description of work
Andantino A minor 2/4
Alfvén arranged this folk song from Dalarna while in Leksand during his summer vacation in 1936 – he would retire one year later from Uppsala University. The version for mixed choir is dedicated to the Siljan Choir. However, Alfvén was not the first to take up the song: earlier arrangements for choir were made by Herman Berens, Jacob Niclas Ahlström, Gustaf Hägg, Emil Sjögren, et al. But these circumstances did not prevent Alfvén from setting to work with full self-confidence and with the assurance that his own arrangement would still get a wide circulation.
Och inte vill jag sörja men sörjer ändå
Han kommer väl igen om ett år eller två.
När liljorna de blomstra i marken,
han kommer väl igen, min hjärtans lilla vän,
för kärleken slutar så sena.
I do not want to mourn, yet I mourn even so.
He just might still return in a year, or in two.
When fragrant lilies bloom in their splendour,
He'll be back soon again, my one of all the men,
For love conquers many a mountain.
Translation: Annika Vallgren